1. Georgia Tech’s primary concern on defense is Vanderbilt running back Ralph Webb, a hard-running, quick-cutting back who has run for 308 in two games this season.
2. After the Mercer game, Tech coach Paul Johnson described his defense as “bend but don’t break.” It was not meant as a compliment. The Jackets gave up 10 points (good) but Mercer was 10-for-18 on third down (bad).
3. Is Tech the No. 44 team in the country? Are the Jackets bound for the Independence Bowl? According to week two rankings and projections, yes and yes.
4. Tech grad Shane Kimbrough, a NASA astronaut bound for the International Space Station in two weeks, called into Johnson’s radio show. The coach had a question for the astronaut. “Do you get ESPN up there?”
5. Who’s going to start at B-back for the Jackets this week? It’s yet to be determined.
More Georgia Tech coverage