1. A-back Qua Searcy earned a starting spot against Mercer with his three catches for 60 yards against Boston College, both team highs. The other has yet to be determined, an indication of the position group’s subpar play in the season opener.
2. Defensive coordinator Ted Roof liked the team’s energy, was not as enthused about the execution, particularly the tackling. That and defensive players’ field of vision are two priorities to address this week prior to the home opener against Mercer.
3. Paul Johnson is fed up with the play of the offensive line, particularly the explanation of communication issues as the source of the problem. “I want to see somebody put their hand down and come off the ball,” he said.
4. More Johnson discontent: Punter Ryan Rodwell’s job is not secure and, the role will be determined in practice this week. Rodwell, a senior, has taken every punt for Tech since the first game of the 2014 season.
5. After reviewing game video, Johnson concluded that the Jackets were fortunate to have beaten Boston College.